Wednesday, January 19, 2011

My First Attempt at Compost...

has been fun so far. I'm afraid I don't make enough trash to really yield some compost, but we'll see in a couple of months.

Here's the video I used on how to make a really simple composting bin.

It was a little difficult getting the holes in the bin. I tried the way the video explains...nothing. I tried an empty nail gun...split the trash can in a few places. Then it dawned on me...drill them, duh! MUCH faster and easier.

We've been trying it out a couple of weeks now and Ben's actually into it. Maybe it's that bit of boy in him that likes gross things. He was certainly willing to donate his beard clippings to the cause. Yes, human hair can also be composted. So can nail clippings, dust from the vaccuum, and...urine, if you were so inclined. Not us, though, that's a little too extreme!

163 Thing You Can Compost is one of the helpful websites I've been using to look up what I can throw in.

No comments:

Post a Comment